Sunday, November 8, 2009

Verizon FiOS vs Comcast

At least once a week now I get a mailing from Verizon trying to get me to switch to FiOS. I do know a couple people with FiOS and from what I have seen and heard there are pros and cons for each service. I have no desire to switch to FiOS but I usually browse through the mailings just out of curiosity. An insert in the mailing this week was touting some of the FiOS features that Comcast does not provide which kind of piqued my interest.


PC meets TV

Use your TV to share photos and music on your computer.

Record it here, watch it there

The Home Media DVR allows you to record a program on one TV and watch it on up to six additional TVs in the house.

While neither of these features are compelling enough to lure me a way from Comcast they are pretty cool. Especially the Home Media DVR, Comcast has a similar feature with ON-Demand where you can start an OnDemand program on one TV and finish it on another. I think in order to do this with a DVR you need a centralized server of some kind so it may be a while before Comcast offers something similar.

No comments: