Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Clear Comcast TIVO Hard Drive

I noticed a couple months ago that I had a recording om my TIVO that seemed to be corrupted. I think Comcast refers to these as phantom recordings. I could not play it or delete it although it said that recording was in progress there was no light on the front of the box indicating something was recording. I called Comcast about it a couple months ago, they couldn't figure it out and told me that they would call in a specialized TIVO tech to get back to me. I never heard from them.

It wasn't much of an issue until recently where we started having an issue where recordings on our season pass were not recording and things that were recording were getting deleted after a couple days. I assume these issue are due to the phantom recording so I called Comcast back today for some help. I assumed that they would just send a tech out with a new box. But the tech wanted to try something new.....He said there was a way to delete everything from the hard drive which should fix the issue. For those having similar issues below are the steps I went through to wipe out the hard drive.
  1. On the Comcast Box - Press the power button and then the select button. This will bring up a diagnostics screen
  2. On the TIVO Remote - Press the replay button
  3. Press the TIVO button three times
  4. Press the Live TV button
  5. Press the channel up button

After this sequence is completed the box will reboot. When it starts back up all of the recordings, season passes and other setting should be gone. Time will tell whether this fixes the issues I have been having.

No comments: