Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Xfinity TV Mobile App

The Xfinity TV Mobile App is a nice little add on for the Xfinity Mobile App.   Not sure why they couldn't have added all of the functionality into one app but I am sure there is a good technical reason.  The app has the following features:

  • Watch OnDemand shows on your iPhone, iPad or iTouch
  • Search OnDemand and TV Listings
  • Use the App like a remote to change the channel on your TV or schedule your DVR
  • It's Free!!!
I have been playing around with this app a bit over the past few weeks.  The quality of the OnDemand content is good.  I didn't experience any buffering while watching using wireless.  I have not yet tried to watch anything using the 3G connection.  I do have a tough time going from watching content on my 55" HDTV to watching something on a 3.5" screen.  But in a pinch it will suffice.

The big issue that I have is that the remote scheduling app does not work with the Comcast TIVO cable boxes.  It would be great to be able to schedule programs remotely but the functionality just isn't there.  I don't think it will ever work with the TIVO boxes as I read a while back that Xfinity will eventually end support for TIVO.  Might be time to go back to the standard Comcast DVR.

No comments: