Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Water in the Cable Line

Over this past summer my wife (who is a teacher and was home for the summer) started complaining that our Internet would go down around noon every day.  She said it would usually be out for an hour then come back for a few minutes then go back down again.  Usually by the time I got home from work in the evening it was fine so I never bothered calling Comcast support.   This went on for a couple months until finally I was home one Saturday and noticed the problem.  Initially when my wife reported this to me I figured maybe they were performing maintenance but surely any maintenance couldn't be going on this long.

So I got on the phone with Comcast Support and they performed some diagnostics over the phone and determined that I did have an extremely weak signal and they would have to dispatch a technician as they suspected the issue was with the line.  A couple days later the tech came out while I was at work.  My wife was told that we had water in our cable line and it would need to be replaced.  Now, I am not sure how water got in the cable line in the first place as we had the driest summer in years in this area.  Nonetheless it fixed my issue.

I assume what was happening was in the morning the water in the line was cool and didn't affect the signal.  As the sun rose through the morning the water in the line would get hot and degraded the signal.  Then as the sun set in the evening the water would cool down and my signal would come back.  Not sure how common this is but I just thought it was kind of interesting.

4 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

Hmmn. We gotta get the water out or replace wires Sorry for the trouble. I work for Comcast. I can reach out to my contacts to expedite the repairs. Feel free to contact me if you’re interested in my help.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Jim in Boston said...

I just posted the following at the COMCAST.NET forum on cable TV problems. Similar issue:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Water-in-splitter-amp-TV-screen-tiling/td-p/1023381

Water in splitter & TV screen tiling. . . ..
08-15-201112:28 PM
I just scheduled a technician visit for tomorrow morning.

Have been experiencing various annoying TV symptoms for a few months ("tiling/mosaic screen", blue screen with "channel available shortly" message) on some but not all channels (mostly HD ones).

I got a replacement set-top box last week which did not resolve the symptoms. After reading several posts here with similar symptoms, I started checking all cable connectors for a tight fit.

All connections were fine at the TV and Converter.

When I went in the basement to check the incoming connection from the street to the splitter, I noticed a drop of water where the connector meets splitter. As I loosened the connection, water started dripping out of the cable and splitter.

Disconneted all connectors coming out of splitter and unscrewed the splitter from the plywood mounting panel.

Drip... drip...drip.

Using a can of compressed air aimed into one splitter port, a quick shot of air caused water to come streaming out of other splitter ports. Continued this till no more water came out and then restored all 5 connections.

The incoming cable from the connection at the utility pole must be allowing water to enter the coaxial cable internally and the weight of the water build-up must be pushing the water up-hill once the cable enters the basement and into the splitter (the incoming cable to the splitter rises up from what is essentially a large "drip-loop" in that cable of about 20").

No water is visible on the exterior of the cable entering the basement, just the interior, where it connects to the splitter.

I am very surprised that the amount of water I blew out of the splitter wasn't causing worse symptoms in TV, phone service & internet.

Will post a followup after the tech's visit tomorrow.

They better not charge me for this visit.

Big Seamus

Unknown said...

Hi same prob ....worried they will charge me did they charge you ?

Steve and Jen said...

No, they did not charge me