Monday, April 14, 2008

Free McAfee Anti Virus

Many people may not be aware that if you you use Comcast for your Internet they give you McAfee Security Suite for free. Buying off the shelf will cost you $120. Buying Anti virus software every couple years can be pretty expensive and then you have to keep renewing in order to get the latest virus definitions. This is a pretty nice feature for Comcast to offer although it probably saves them money in the long run as I assume they get less calls from people whose Internet has stopped working because they got a virus.

Not sure exactly what the licensing rules are if you own multiple PCs but I was able to install the software on my desktop and laptop without an issue.

As far as how good McAfee is compared to other antivirus software I am not sure that there is a consensus. I did a quick google search for "best antivirus software" and came up with numerous best of lists. Most had Mcafee on their lists none at the top though, every list had their own idea of what was the best. From my personal experience I have also used Norton, which seemed to slow my PC down quite a bit. It also installed some software that I was never able to uninstall.

In the two years that I have been using McAfee I haven't had any problems. For the price it really can't be beat.

No comments: