Sunday, January 27, 2008

More on Comcast's new Tivo box

So now that I have had a little more time to use my Comcast TIVO box I figured I would post some more observations. I am still pretty happy with the box but it seems it isn't without its problems.

Last week we noticed that we couldn't get into any of our OnDemand content. At first we thought it may just be temporarily down as this happens sometimes, but when we couldn't get into OnDemand for a few days I decided to call Comcast. I have had some pretty good experiences with Comcast Support so I don't usually hesitate to call. Interestingly I was transferred to their TIVO support line so I thought maybe I would get some insider info. First off the woman I spoke with sounded more like a phone sex operator than the normal support geek so we were stating out on the right foot. She wanted to know what I thought of the box and I explained some of the issues we have been having, unfortunately she didn't have any solutions. Eventually she got around to having me unplug my box to solve the OnDemand issue. The good news is it solved the issue. This seems to be the cable version of rebooting a computer which solves 99% of all problems. I will warn you though, if you plan on unplugging your box give yourself at least 10 minutes for it to start back up. The start up process has some type of a diagnostic process that takes forever to get through. But it did seem to solve the issue.

We did have another problem with the box today. While watching programs on any channel I was getting intermittent cutouts of the video and audio every minute or so. After a about 30 minutes of this the box locked up and then rebooted itself. When it came back up everything was fine. But all I was thinking was I hoe this doesn't happen next weekend during the Superbowl. Pretty cool that the box realized that it was having an issue and rebooted itself but unfortunately I had to wait through the 10 minute diagnostic process again.

My wife is a little frustrated with the quirks on the new Tivo box and wants the old Comcast DVR back. I think we are going to stick with it though and see if they can get the bugs worked out.

No comments: